Some Mor Pics From The Flood

Just some pictures that I thought really relayed the magnitude of the flooding today. The Metropolitan Sewer District (MSD), which runs the flood pumps in the Ohio River and Beargrass Creek flood plains, said that one of their stations received 6.5 inches of rain in one hour, making that the heaviest rain ever in a one hour period. The official total at the airport, although far less than areas north in the urban core, set an all time August rainfall record. Here are some of the pics (courtesy of the Courier Journal, WHAS, WAVE and LEO)...

The Watterson Expressway at Manslick Road. I think this picture is just amazing.

Near the University of Louisville campus.

University of Louisville campus

Churchill Downs stretch under water.

Churchill Downs paddock under water.

Cherokee Park in the Highlands. Beargrass Creek is about 10 feet above it's banks.

Beargrass Creek in Cherokee Park. The creek is normally a small stream.

Old Louisville flooding

Old Louisville flooding at 3rd and Magnolia. I used to live at this corner.

These people are sitting on the steps of my old apt. building.

In front of my old apt. in Old Louisville

1 comments:

Lori D | August 4, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Oh dear, my heart goes out to you all. My brother is visiting Clarksville, TN, I hope he's alright. I'll pray against anymore rain!