Do I Believe?

I had a couple of really rough days at work this week and by Wednesday morning, I was so fed up that I was actually contemplating a transfer to a new school. Teaching at an inner-city school with a very high poverty rate isn't exactly the easiest gig in teaching. There are some days where I come home from work and just want to bang my head against the wall while other days find me questioning my choice in careers. Still, despite those demoralizing days, I can't really imagine doing anything else and certainly not anywhere else.

I requested a brief meeting with my principal and I didn't hold back, clearly expressing my concerns and thoughts on what was happening. I left that meeting like I leave all meetings with her, believing in what it is that I do. My prinicipal is young, she's about 5 years younger than me, and is clearly a rising star in the district. She's done some unbelievable things these past few years and what used to be a dumping ground has turned into an example of what can be done when we believe.

My principal believes in me just like I believe in her. I believe in my fellow teachers just like they believe in me. I believe in my students just like they believe in me. I believe in all the kids who enter those doors just like they believe in me. And why is it that I believe? Because, if I don't believe in those kids, who will believe in them?

Perhaps it took me almost giving up to realize that I ended up in this place not by chance but by fate. Perhaps it took me almost giving up to realize that this is what I am supposed to be and where I am supposed to be. It is not easy teaching where I teach, it might never really be easy, but often times, the easiest route isn't exactly the best. It's why I do what I do and it's why I believe in me, why I believe in my principal, why I believe in my fellow staff members, why I believe in my students and why I believe in all the students. If not me, who?


Watch this video if you, it's so worth it...

0 comments: