Trans Kids

Leith at Being T lets us know that ABC has posted online updates of the three small children featured on 20/20 last summer. Riley, Jazz and Jeremy are all living in the gender that matches their minds and each has amazing parental support. I've watched that episode several times and I just feel in love with little Riley. She's so awesome and so amazing but I just see so many problems for her, none of which are her doing. Anyways, check out the update here. Finally, 20/20 has a short video of adults talking about what it was like to be a kid and know you were transgender.

To see this kind of support from families is just so heart warming and makes me feel good about others having the same experience. I have no idea how my parents would have reacted had I come out to them as a child, but I like to hope that it would have been the same way. Granted, it was a different time then, but my parents are awesome people and I think they would have done the right thing. As far as my earliest memories, well, that's a hard one. I can't exactly pinpoint an age or time when I began to know that I was really a girl but it was pretty young. The thing is, I just didn't know how to express it or come to grips with it. I assumed that I was the only person who felt this way and as a result, I did everything I could to repress those thoughts and feelings.

Sometimes I wish that I too could have come out at such an early age and begun transitioning young, but the truth is, I just wasn't ready. Transition is one of those things that can only happen when you are ready for it to happen. I wasn't ready till my mid 30's. I suppose I wasn't emotionally ready to do it but more importantly, I don't think I was stable enough to transition. It happens differently for all of us and there is no wrong way or wrong time to transition, only your time to transition.

0 comments: