I Hope I Didn't Disappoint Him


Whenever I look at my old baby pictures, I find myself staring into the eyes of a little boy who had his whole life in front of him. Those eyes were so full of life and I just can't help but wonder if somehow I haven't disappointed him in who I became and how I've lived my life. I know that this might sound strange, having this seemingly disconnect from reality, but when I look at those pictures, I just want to feel as if I did good, that the little boy staring back at me would be proud of how things turned out.

I've tried very hard to live a good life, to be a good person and make the most of this thing called life. Aside from a few typical teenage setbacks, I think I've done pretty good. I had a loving family that did it's best to give me every opportunity to succeed in life. I went to college, graduated only a semester late, sought out excitement and adventure in the years that followed and along the way found my calling in life. I bought a home, went to graduate school and graduated first in my class, got a job I love and for the past seven years, I have done everything in my power to make the lives of those most in need somewhat better.

I've been kind and supportive to all my friends, adored my family and everything they stand for. I'm kind to animals, devoted to my pets and my word is as good as it gets. I fight for causes that are just and believe in social justice, equality and peace. I'm well read, interested in art and appreciate some of the sillier things in life. In short, I've done a lot of amazing things and when I look back, I really have very few regrets. I still have a lot of life ahead of me and hopefully I'll find a way to make it meaningful.

I've done the best I could and I hope that little boy knows that I've done everything I could to make him proud.

0 comments: