I'm Ready To Start Some Engines

I am so ready for the return of Open Wheel Racing. Formula One gets started in 16 days with the Australian Grand Prix from Melbourne while the Indy Racing League returns a week later from the streets of St. Petersburg in Florida. For those who only watch NAPCAR, you just don't know what you are missing. Driving an open wheel car at well over 200 MPH is one of the most difficult things to do in the world. Doing it wheel to wheel is even harder. The best of the best are coming and it won't be a moment to soon.

Here is a great video of a typical Formula One race. Unlike other forms of motorsports, F1 uses a standing start and with engines that produce 19,000 RPM, they accelerate faster than any other race car. I've been to quite a few United States Grand Prix's and I can tell you that there is no other sound like the whine of a F1 engine...



Next up is the start from last years Indianapolis 500. I was at the race and this video was taken in turn 4 as the cars come out of turn 3 (where I was sitting) and head into the straightaway and turn 1. Watching and hearing 33 cars go by at 225 MPH is something that I'll never forget. I'll be back again this year and am looking foward to the Memorial Day weekend and the Indy 500, the World's Greatest Race...

0 comments: