It's Very Sad

The past few four days have just been beautiful and I've enjoyed getting outside with the dogs and letting them play. Today, as I was throwing tennis ball after tennis ball, it dawned on me that my two Border Collies, Sammy and River, are really starting to get old. Sammy has been such an important part of my life for the past 9 years while River has been with me for 7 of her 9 years that I've totally forgotten what it's like not to have them around. Apart from my trip to Chicago for my surgery, I've never been away from them for more than a week and the thought of coming home to a house without them scares the hell out of me.

They've still got a few years left, at least I hope they do, but they don't run as fast or as far as they used to. Getting in and out of the bed is a bit harder and without her medicine, River's arthritis would be too much to bear. The hair on their muzzles is nearly all white now and they are starting to take on the look of old dogs. I love old dogs, I really do, but it's still sad watching my boy and girl enter their golden years.

As for Shadow, well, he's just now entering middle age, right along with me.

Two of the Three Stooges

The Third Stooge

1 comments:

Jacq | May 13, 2009 at 7:50 PM

I feel for you there. My Stormie will be 13 in July and Raney just turned 4. Our baby Kitty might be 3. I'm not sure how old she is. She was Missi's baby when she and Tanner moved in.

Stormie is just as active as ever, but you just never know. One day they'll be fine and the next, sick. We just give her all the love we can, every day. And alone time with us in our room. Raney is very rambunctious, and plays too rough with her. A couple of years ago that was fine, but now, she's not havin' it.