Two Great Races, One Great Day

Tomorrow is the greatest day in Motor Sports Racing as the world's two most prominent races take center stage. FIrst up is the Formula 1 Grand Prix de Monaco on the streets of the tiny but oh so glamorus Principality. Formula 1 is by far the most popular sport in the world, drawing an average television audience of well over a billion people per race. Ask any driver on the grid and all will tell you that this is the race they most want to win. Britain's Jenson Button, driving for the upstart Brawn GP team, has pole and if previous runnings are any indication, he'll be tough to be beat on the difficult to pass on course.

Six hours later and an ocean away, America's premier racing event, the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race, will get underway before a crowd in excess of 300,000. It's the largest single day sporting event by attentandce and is know throughout the world as The Greatest Spectacle in Racing. A full field of 33 drivers, led by pole sitter Helio Castroneves, will hit speeds of 225 mph on the famed yard of bricks, each trying to be the first to complete 200 laps. I'll be one of those 300,000 plus fans on hand and I expect this years race to be another classic.

Dario Francitti, my pick to win the INDY 500. Photo courtesy of Indycar.com

My sentimental favorite will be Paul Tracy, The Thrill from West Hill, but I don't think he has a car fast enough to win. Instead, I look for Dario Francitti, husband of the beautiful Ashley Judd, to once again drink the milk in the winners circle. I'll take Scott Dixon second and Castroneves third with young American Grahm Rahal fourth and Danica Patrick, one of three women in the race, coming in fifth.

So, get up early tomorrow morning, catch the Grand Prix de Monaco at 8 eastern on Speed TV (channel 607 on DirecTV), take a little nap and tune into ABC at noon for the pre-race show followed by the 500 mile race. By the way, I'll be in the Northwest Vist in turn 3 so try and look for me. I'm kidding of course but at least you'll know where I'm at.

Oh yeah, NAPCAR has a race tomorrow night, but who really gives a shit.

0 comments: