The Sun Isn't Shining Brightly On My Old Kentucky Home

It's Derby Day and the for the past week, the city has been alive with festival events, crazy bar hopping and celebrity filled parites. For one week, Louisville feels like one of the biggest cities in the world and this has been that week. In just a few hours, 19 colts will run for the roses, the morning line favorite was scratched this morning, but so far, the weather just isn't cooperating. Last Saturday saw temps in the upper 80's with sunny skies. Today, it's cloudy and unseasonably cool with temperatures just a touch above 60 degrees. It rained hard last night but so far today, the showers have stayed to our south, so it's not a total washout.



When I was younger, I used to always look forward to Derby Day and the huge party that is the Infield at Churchill Downs. It's decadence to a whole new level and is something that everyone should experience at least once in their lives. I've probably been to over 20 derby's but none in the past decade. I've split my time between the party inside the track and the grandstand with all the rich people. Both are fun and being at the Kentucky Derby is to see one of the world's great sporting events. All in all, it's a very magical time and being in Louisville for that week is one of the greatest thrills in the world.

But you know what? As I've gotten older, I've become less and less interested in the whole goings on. My bar hopping days are behind me (The bars don't close here this weekend as they are allowed to stay open 24 hours a day) and I just don't like fighting the crowds like I used to. So how did I spend this Derby Day so far? I went for a couple hours of electrolysis, that's how. Pretty lame, pretty lame.

0 comments: