Pronouns

I just returned from a little get together with a bunch of old friends. We had gotten together to watch the annual University of Kentucky versus University of Louisville basketball game. I was, as usual with this crew, the only Kentucky fan and despite playing their best game of the year, my beloved Cats came up 3 points short. Everyone of them has been nothing but supportive of my transition and I probably couldn't have done this without their help. I love them to death and fell very blessed to count them among my friends. I enjoy being with them and I unfortunately don't get to spend nearly enough them. But here's the rub, after five years, some of them still don't get the pronouns right and that hurts. I know they don't mean to and I'm certainly not mad but it does make me feel pretty much like a failure.

3 comments:

Jacq | January 4, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Hey, love the new look! I'd love to change mine again, but then I always fuss too much and decide against it. I've changed it so much already! SIGH

I was able to drag Missi out to a get-together with a colleague of mine, and despite much protest, she was actually glad she went. It's hard to take a hermit out of her domain.

Kelly | January 4, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Yeah, I kind of like the new look too. I'm still kind of playing around with things so we'll see what happens.

nexy | January 7, 2009 at 9:30 PM

"after five years, some of them still don't get the pronouns right and that hurts. I know they don't mean to..."

i don't buy that they don't mean it. now perhaps i'm being harsh, and perhaps they don't intend to hurt you, but i think after 5 years, if they haven't made the effort to respect you, then i can say they'd no longer be my friends.

if they can't understand that it is totally disrespectful, then those are people with whom i could never be friends. it would be like calling a female friend who got married 5 years ago by her maiden name. it's just disrespectful.

and i like the new look too :)